The Effects of Mold on your Health
Mold is ever-present in our world. They are spores that commonly grow within household dust. They can grow on any substance where there is moisture. But when these mold spores become greater in quantity, they pose a health hazard to humans, often causing respiratory issues and allergic reactions.
They may also manifest something called mycotoxins. This is where the term toxic mold comes from. High exposure to these types of mold can cause serious health concerns such as neurological problems.
A variety of harmful health problems can develop over time. Some people are more sensitive to mold than others. There is a higher risk for people with any sort of chronic lung illnesses, which will result in more caustic reactions when they are exposed to mold.
Some other troubling health concerns include:
- Nasal and sinus congestion, with a constantly runny nose.
- Eye irritation, including itchy, watery eyes.
- Wheezing, difficulty breathing and chest tightness.
- A lasting cough.
- Sore throat.
- Skin irritation, often a rash.
For mold growth to occur, there must be a source of humidity. Many building materials like plywood, drywall, carpets and padding are the perfect places for mold to thrive, due to the abundance of food for the mold, like invisible dust and cellulose.
Any water damage that occurs in a building needs to be treated quickly. Mold can be an instantaneous problem in such conditions. It is imperative to have a professional come out to do a mold inspection. Mycotoxin levels are prone to rising in buildings that have had water damage. The growth of mold can start within 24 hours after optimum growing conditions occur.